Food For Thought..

Jesus became your sin, absorbed God's wrath, died the death you deserve, and rose again to give you life. This is gospel.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

change of heart?

Since I've been in Portland, God has been working in my heart to say the least. My entire view of life and mission has changed. Living out the Gospel is more than just living holy and walking with God, it involves an active, intentional pursuit of loving nonbelievers and believers alike, without compromise, and seeking justice and opportunities to serve without any desire to be praised. Matthew 6 beckons us to the secret life. "WHEN you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. WHEN you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. WHEN you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you" (Mt. 6:3-4, 6, 17-18). We aren't seeking the praises or approval of men or the treasures of this world, we're chasing the heart of Almighty God and loving ourselves and our neighbors, present or future.

At DBU, it's somewhat of a Christian bubble (hello, sarcasm). We all have good intentions, desires, and purposes, but they remain just that, intentions. "Beautiful are the feet," not the intention behind them (Romans 10:15). Often times we get so caught up loving believers, we forget what talking to someone who doesn't know Jesus looks, feels, or sounds like. We freeze. We share the Gospel of Christ with them and if they don't accept, we give up. That's not what Jesus did. He lived among people without judgment and loved them to the truth. Our time spent in and with the Church should motivate us to go out and share with others in word and deed. This is by no way a rebuke, and I'm not above my message. He just hit me with this, hello? This is reproof to those of us who have fallen prey to stagnant Christianity, and exhortation of those who haven't. Let's just love God and people together, huh?

Anyways, since I've been here at Portland, I've been wondering how I can go back to school and incorporate the change God has performed in my heart and vision. Friday morning, I woke up with an email from the director of housing at DBU stating we have a record number of students trying to live on campus. They would be providing off campus apartments to 20 male students. Coincidence? Moreover, I would get to keep all the scholarships that require on campus housing. Coincidence? The result? I will now be living off campus, 15 minutes away from school, incorporating missional community and incarnationally living out the Gospel in an apartment complex and neighborhood in Dallas/Irving/Grand Prairie (Carrier Parkway, 2ish miles North of the QT and Starbucks. Total score, right?). "Ask and you will receive," indeed (Matthew 7:7). Seek to find the heart of the Father; when you take a breath, you'll look around and wonder when New Jerusalem came to town. When you walk with the King, the result is the Kingdom: in your heart, your mind, and your world.

Friday, I also hung out with my homeless friend, Dante. He needed to do his laundry, so I told him I would pay for it. We hung out the entire afternoon! I paid for his clothes, his lunch, and his frozen yogurt and what came to mind was Jesus telling us to invite people to our banquets and feasts that cannot give back to us after we have given to them, He's really just changing my perception. Dante and I discussed testimonies and spiritual journeys, and he was able to witness Jesus at work. The laundromat's detergent dispensing machine was broken so anyone could take what they wanted, along with the quarters people had already paid with; I attempted to fix it. When I couldn't, I discovered the Thai restaurant next door owned it. We helped them clear out all the money and items from the machine. Dante was perplexed that someone would do such a thing, and I met Tim, one of the Thai place's waiters, in the process: "I don't have any American friends." Something so small that I never intended to let anyone see turned into God being glorified. Dante has seen Jesus. Soon enough, he'll know him. ps.. stop and pray for Dante! do it, do it, do it!

this is just an update of what the Lord's up to. We're meeting people and doing our best to reflect the God we know, love, and serve. is it easy? not exactly. is it worth it? undoubtedly. Thank you for your prayers, love, and support! We love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment